Vegetable Pilau rice is very quick to cook when you are in hurry and can be served with any curry, curry sauce or as it is.
Cooking Time: App. 25 Minutes
Serves: 2 People
1 cup of basmati rice
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
1 cup of mixed vegetable (cauliflower, carrots, green peas, french beans, etc…)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
4-5 saffron leaves (optional)
3 cups of water
Salt to taste
1. Take the rice in one pan and wash it (pour water into the pan and take it out by keeping your hand on the edge of the pan).
2. Boil 3 cups of water in the kettle and add into the rice pan.
3. Keep the pan on the full heat and add salt.
4. Cook it for 10 mins on full heat. It will need stirring in between.
5. Check rice taking one in your finger (be careful, it will be too warm) and pressing it. If it is soft, it is half-cooked. Now place all rice into the sieve, all water will be filtered from the rice. Leave for 2-3 mins to get rid of all water.
6. Heat the butter in the pan (should be big enough for all rice).
7. Add cumin seeds, wait until it crackles and add cloves, bay leaf and then add all vegetable and cook it for 5 mins. Now add turmeric powder (optional) and a pinch of salt and Cook it for another 2 mins.
8. Add all rice and stir it gently on slow heat until all veg and spices mix together with the rice.
9. Finally turn off heat and garnish with saffron leaves.
Serve hot with any curry or as it is.