Tawa Fry Bhindi is pan okra fry with onions and spices. Tawa fry bhindi is a simple side dish and tawa bhindi can be served with paratha, chapatti, naan bread or with dal and rice.
Cooking Time: Appr. 25 Minutes
Serves: 2 People
250g fresh okra (bhindi)
2 medium yellow or white onions
1 green chilli
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon amchur powder (dried raw mango powder)
2 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
1. Wash and dry the Okra with kitchen towel.
2. Chop the top and bottom end and slit the okra lengthwise then cut the okra into 2 or 3 inch size (it is small okra, cut in halves. If it’s long, then cut in 3 pieces).
3. Chop the onion roughly. Chop the green chilli.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed flat pan or frying pan. Add the cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds crackle, add chopped onion. Fry until they are lightly brown in colour.
5. Now add the okra pieces and chopped green chilli. Fry the okra till all the stickiness has disappeared and they are lightly brown.
6. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt and fry tawa bhindi for further 2-3 minutes. So all spices are cooked and blend with okra.
7. Finally turn the heat off.
Serve tawa fry bhindi hot with chapatti, paratha, naan bread or with dal and rice.
You can cut the okra in small round instead of cutting 2-3 inches in lengthwise.
You can substitute amchur powder (dried raw mango powder) with 1 tablespoon lemon juice.