Surti Papdi Nu Shaak is Gujarati recipe cooked surti papdi lilva (small flat green beans).
Cooking Time: Appr. 30 Minutes
Serves: 3-4 People
200g surti papdi lilva (small flat green beans)
2 medium potatoes
1 inch ginger
1 green chilli
½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
2 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
3 tablespoon oil
Water as needed
Salt to taste
1. Clean the surti papdi lilva (small flat green beans) by removing strings from both sides and leave in water.
2. Peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes.
3. Peel the ginger and chop it. Chop the tomatoes and green chilli.
4. Heat the oil in a pan or pressure cooker. Add the funugreek seeds, (methi), carom seeds (ajwain) and cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add asafoetida.
5. Then add chopped ginger and chopped chilli. Stir for a minute.
6. Add surti papdi lilva (small flat green beans) and fry for few mins.
7. Add potato cubes and fry for 3-4 mins covering the lid. Stir occasionally and let the steam go into the pan when you open the lid for stirring.
8. Now add chopped tomatoes and cook for 3-4 mins.
9. Add all spice powder and salt to taste. Cook until oil separated on sides.
10. Now add some water (same level as vegetables are) and cook until surti papdi lilva (small flat green beans) and potatoes are cooked. If you are cooking in pressure cooker, lock the pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
11. Finally turn off the heat.
Serve papdi shaak hot with chapatti or paratha or rice.
You can add the aubergine cubes (eggplant or baingan) to surti papdi nu shaak. With aubergine cubes (eggplant or baingan), this curry is called papdi ringan nu shaak in Gujarati.
You add garlic mince or paste with chopped ginger and chilli.
If you want to cook surti papdi nu shaak in green masala, You can make green masala with coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger, garlic and fresh turmeric root by blending them to make coarse paste. Fry this green masala after cracking seeds for 2-3 mins and then follow above steps to make surti papdi nu shaak in green masala.