Sunblushed Tomatoes are semi dried tomatoes with herbs, salt and olive oil.
Cooking Time: Appr. 4 Hours
Serves: 5-6 People
500g cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Extra Virgin Olive oil for drizzling
¼ teaspoon sugar
Salt to taste
For the oil marinade:
1 small garlic clove
4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
¼ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
A pinch of salt
A pinch of sugar
1. Preheat the oven at 220 degree C.
2. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place them cut side up in baking tray or any ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the salt, sugar, thyme and olive oil.
3. Put them in the oven and lower down oven heat to 100 degree C.
4. For the olive oil marinade, chop the garlic roughly. Heat the oil in a microwave for a minute. Add chopped garlic and mix well. Wait till the oil cool down then add chopped basil, dried mixed herbs, salt and sugar. Mix well. Leave aside to blend all flavours together while sunblush tomatoes are getting ready.
5. Roast them for 4 hours. Turn the heat off and leave them in the oven for further an hour.
6. In an airtight container or bottle/jar layer the sunblush tomatoes and add a spoonful garlic oil marinade over the sunblushed tomatoes. Finish placing all sunblush tomatoes layers and garlic oil marinade. Cove the lid on and shake well.
7. Leave the sunblushed tomatoes to marinade for 24 hours on room temperature. Give it a good shake every so often.
Serve sunblushed tomatoes as or in a salad or as it is with olives as a starter.
You can use any tomatoes to make sunblushed tomatoes recipe. If you are using big tomatoes, cut them in quarter.
Add small mozzarella balls and olives in with sunblush tomatoes to marinade for variation.