Shakar Para is sweet snack treat made during Diwali or other festive season in India. Shakar para is also known as shakkar para.
Cooking Time: Appr. 15 Minutes
Serves: 6 People
2 cup plain flour
½ cup semolina
½ cup ghee
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
½ teaspoon salt
Water as needed
Oil for deep frying
1. Make thin syrup of sugar and water in bowl.
2. Take plain flour in a mixing bowl and add semolina, cardamom powder and salt. Mix well.
3. Add the ghee and start mixing with your hands until it looks crumbled.
4. Now make stiff dough using sugar syrup and knead well to make dough like chapatti dough. Keep the dough aside at least half an hour, covered.
5. Make 8 equal balls and roll to make chapatti.
6. Cut in vertical length about inch wide strips and give vertical cut from cross side about inch wide to make diamond shape with knife or pizza cutter.
7. Repeat the process with remaining 3 dough balls.
8. Heat the oil in a pan. Once the oil heated and deep fry the shakkar para in the oil on medium heat till the shakar para turns light brown in colour.
9. Store the shakkar para in airtight container once they are completely cool off.
Serve shakkar para recipe as snack or breakfast with cup of tea or as it is as a munchies.
There is another way to make shakkar para recipe which is after frying shakkar para and cooled off, add them to sugar syrup (¾ sugar + ½ cup water). Make sure all shakar para is coated with sugar syrup well. If you are making shakar para this way, you don’t need to add sugar syrup to make shakar para dough.
You can also use ½ cup wheat flour and 2 cup plain flour.
You can add more sugar for extra sweetness of shakkar para recipe.