Saag Paneer Recipe (Palak Paneer Recipe) is popular paneer dish from north Indian cuisine. Paneer is cooked in creamy and rich spinach (palak) gravy in saag paneer recipe (palak paneer recipe).
Cooking Time: Appr. 25 Minutes
Serves: 2-3 People
350 gran paneer
4 bunch spinach or 500 gram frozen spinach (palak)
2 medium size onions
¾ tomato puree
2 green chillies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
½ teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
¾ cup fresh cream
Warm water for fresh spinach to blanch
2 tablespoon butter
Salt to taste
How To Cook Saag Paneer Recipe (Palak Paneer Recipe):
1. Wash the spinach, cut the stem out and chop the spinach leaves. Dissolve some salt in warm water and keep chopped spinach in salty warm water for 15-20 min. Squeeze the water out from the chopped spinach and make coarse paste of chopped spinach in the blender or grinder. Keep the squeezed water aside. Do not make smooth paste otherwise your saag paneer (palak paneer) will taste blend.
For the frozen leaves make coarse paste in the blender or grinder. If you are using frozen chopped spinach, heat some water in a big pan and place frozen chopped spinach on sieve. Leave the sieve on the top of pan to defrost the chopped spinach. Once it is defrost, you can use in saag paneer (palak paneer).
2. Cut paneer in small rectangle. Heat the frying pan and cook all paneer pieces cook it each side until it lightly golden brown (without oil). Soak paneer in salted hot water for 15 mins, this way paneer will turn out soft for paneer makhani recipe (instead of frying paneer, roasting like this makes paneer recipes healthier) .
3. Chop the onions finely. Slit the chillies.
4. To make palak paneer, heat the butter in a pan, add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the chopped onions. Stir and cook until it turns to lightly golden brown.
5. Add the garlic-ginger paste and the slit chillies. Stir and cook for 2-3 mins.
6. Add the tomato puree, coriander powder, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Stir and cook until butter gets separated from the spice and comes out on sides.
7. Now add the paneer and squeeze the water out from the spinach then add the spinach to the pan. Make sure paneer is covered with spinach. Stir well and cover the lid. Cook for 7-8 mins on medium to high heat. Keep stirring in between to avoid sticking to the pan.
8. Now add the garam masala, salt and cream. Stir well and cook this easy palak paneer recipe for 5 mins on medium heat.
9. Finally turn off the heat.