Pesto Pizza is made using pesto sauce instead of tomato sauce. This pesto pizza is stonebake pizza (thin and crispy pizza base) with the toppings of mushrooms and garlic and cooked in an oven.
For Pizza Base:
½ cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons dried active yeast
1½ cup plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
Pesto Pizza Toppings:
4 tablespoon red pesto
8 medium size mushrooms cut in thin slices
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon mixed dried herbs
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese (Grana Padano)
½ cup grated cheddar cheese
14 mini mozzarella pearls (balls)
1. To make homemade pizza recipe, take the warm water in a bowl. Add the sugar and sprinkle the dried yeast in top. Stir to dissolve the sugar and yeast with the water. Set aside for 10-15 minutes.
2. Take the flour and salt into a bowl using sieve and add the oil and the yeast liquid. Draw together into one mass using floured hands.
3. Tip the dough onto the work surface and begin to knead, by pushing the dough away with one hand and then drawing back towards you. Keep repeating this process for 5 mins until dough is smooth and elastic form.
4. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with the lid and leave in a warm place for at least an hour.
5. After an hour start kneading the dough again on work surface for 2 mins and divide the dough into two small balls.
6. Rolling out the pizza dough, sprinkle some plain flour on work surface. Place the dough ball on the sprinkled flour. Sprinkle some flour on the top of the dough ball. Now start tapping from your hand on clockwise. Leave other hand on the edge of the rolling dough on left side to make sure it rolls and round in shape. If you see any part of rolling pizza base is thick, tap there or stretch to make it thinner. Roll until pizza get around 12 “ size. Roll second pizza after topping this one or leaving in the baking tray.
7. For pizza toppings, before start topping the pizza, divide all topping ingredients in two as we have got 2 pizzas to top.
8. Place the pizza in a baking tray. Spread the pesto sauce evenly on the pizza, sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese (Grana Padano) on it. Sprinkle the mixed dried herbs on the pizza and place the mushroom. Put the crushed garlic and mini mozzarella pearls (balls) in the gap of the mushroom pizza. Sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese on the top of the pizza.
9. Bake the homemade pizza in a preheated oven at 230 degree Celsius for about 15-20 mins (preheat the oven before 15 mins and make sure oven is fully heated before baking the pizza)..
Serve the pesto pizza hot as a main course.