Oven Baked Macaroni And Cheese With Pesto is macaroni pasta cooked with Béchamel sauce, pesto sauce with sundried tomatoes and green olives in it and with grated cheddar cheese.
Cooking Method: Appr. 20-25 Minutes
Serves: 3-4 People
340g macaroni pasta
1 packet of button mushrooms
1 teaspoon butter
3 handfuls cheddar cheese, freshly grated
For the Pesto Sauce:
2-3 garlic cloves
50g sun-dried tomatoes
50g sunblushed tomatoes
50g green olives
100g green pesto
For The Béchamel Sauce Recipe:
600g whole milk
2 bay leaves
50g plain flour
Water as needed
A pinch of nutmeg powder
1. For the Béchamel Sauce Recipe: Add the all whole spices to the milk and bring the milk to boil. Simmer for 10 mins and stir in between. Keep aside for 30 mins. Strain the milk. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir & cook over a low heat for 5 mins. Now start adding some of the strained milk. Stir until smooth, and then add more milk until the sauce is thickened. Cook for 10-15 mins and then turn the heat off. Boil some water and add it (You want it to be loose because you’ll be see how quickly the sauce will disappear inside the macaroni and it will look dry). Simmer for 2-3 mins. Turn the heat off. Sprinkle with grated nutmeg and mix well.
2. Chop the sundried tomatoes, sunblushed tomatoes, green olives and garlic. Blend this all ingredients with pesto to make paste.
3. Cut the mushrooms in half or quarter. Melt the butter and sauté mushrooms for 3-4 mins.
4. Boil the macaroni until it cooks in salted water. Drain it in a colander.
5. In an oven proof dish add macaroni. Mix the sauted mushrooms with macaroni. Add the pesto paste and mix well.
6. Add half of béchamel sauce, mix with macaroni and spread the macaroni evenly. Add the breadcrumbs on the top and spread it evenly.
7. Now sprinkle the grated cheddar on macaroni cheese.
8. Place in the preheated oven at 220 degree C for 20–25 mins or golden on top.
Serve oven baked macaroni and cheese straight away.