Namak Para is a crunchy savoury snack (savoury version of shakkar para). Namak Para Recipe is also known as namak pare recipe.
Cooking Time: Appr. 15 Minutes
Serves: 6 People
2 cups plain flour
¼ cup ghee (clarified butter)
1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain)
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Water as needed
1. Sieve the flour in a mixing bowl, add the carom seeds (ajwain), salt and crushed black pepper. Mix well.
2. Add the ghee and start mixing with your hands until it looks crumbled.
3. Now make stiff dough using water and knead well to make dough like chapatti dough. Keep the dough aside at least half an hour, covered.
4. Make 8 equal balls and roll to make chapatti.
5. Cut in vertical length about inch wide strips and give vertical cut from cross side about inch wide to make diamond shape (or diamond strips) with knife or pizza cutter.
6. Repeat the process with remaining 3 dough balls.
7. Heat the oil in a pan. Once the oil heated and deep fry the namak para in the oil on medium heat till the namak para turns light golden in colour.
8. Store the namak para in airtight container once they are completely cool off.
Serve namak pare recipe as snack or breakfast with cup of tea or as it is as a munchies.
You can add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds to namak pare along with carom seeds (ajwain).
You can also use ½ cup wheat flour and 1½ cup plain flour or ½ cup semolina and 1½ cup plain flour to make namak pare.