Matar Aloo Kachori is deep fried flat bread stuffed with potatoes and green peas with spices. Kachori is also known as Kachodi.
Cooking Time: Appr. 30 Minutes
Serves: 4-5 People
For the kachori dough:
2 cups plain flour
½ cup semolina
½ teaspoon baking powder or sodium bicarbonate
2 tablespoon oil
For the fillings:
2 medium potatoes
½ cup green peas
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
2 green chillies
1 inch ginger
½ teaspoon amchur powder (dried raw mango powder)
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Oil for frying matar aloo kachori
For garnishing the matar aloo kachori:
1. Boil the potatoes until cooked. Boil the peas for 5 mins.
2. Crush the ginger, chop the chillies finely.
3. Sieve the plain flour and semolina with baking powder or sodium bicarbonate and salt.
4. Use the hot or warm water to make stiff dough like chapatti dough.
5. Peel the potatoes and cut in small cubes. Mash roughly the green peas.
6. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add finely chopped green chillies, crushed ginger, and crushed fennel seeds. Mix well and add coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masla powder and amchur powder (dried mango powder).
7. Add the potato cubes, roughly mashed peas, and salt. Mix well.
8. Take a lemon size a dough ball from the dough. Tap it to spread and make size of puree (puri).
9. Place 2 teaspoons potato-peas fillings in the middle of the puri (puree). Seal it properly with fingers.
10. Take in hand and press gently. Place on worktop surface, gently press to spread it. Make it size of puri (puree). Finish doing all matar aloo kachori.
11. Heat the oil and deep fry all kachori until brown both sides.
12. Place them on kitchen paper to absorb the access oil.
13. Break from the matar aloo kachori of middle, add some plain or sweet yogurt, tamarind chutney, coriander chutney and some sev (fried gram flour noodles) on the top.
Serve matar aloo kachori immediately as a snack, breakfast or starter.
To make matar kachori, discard the potatoes and take 1 cup green peas instead of ½ cup. Follow all above steps to make matar kachori.