Lamb And Spinach Curry Recipe is marinated lamb meat cooked in spicy spinach green masala gravy. Lamb And Spinach Curry Recipe is also known as green mutton masala, hariyali mutton masala and saag mutton masala.
Cooking Time: Appr. An hour and 15 Minutes
Serves: 2 People
400 gram boneless lean lamb
2 big bunch of fresh spinach or 400 gram chopped frozen spinach
1 bunch spring onions
1 green chillies
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ cup chopped coriander
4 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
Water as needed
For Lamb marinade:
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon oil
1. Wash and cut the lamb in small cubes.
2. Add chopped rosemary, crushed garlic, crushed ginger, lemon juice and oil to lamb pieces, mix well. Marinade for 2 hours.
3. Wash the spinach, cut the stem out and chop the spinach leaves. Dissolve some salt in warm water and keep chopped spinach in salty warm water for 15-20 min. Squeeze the water out from the chopped spinach and make coarse paste of chopped spinach in the blender or grinder. Do not make smooth paste otherwise your greem mutton masala curry gravy will be blend in taste. If you are using frozen chopped spinach, defrost it at room temperature just keeping out from the freezer before 2 hours of cooking it.
4. Chop the chillies finely. Slice the onions in round. Chop the spring onions.
5. Heat the oil in a pan. Add onion slices. Fry for 2 mins on high heat.
6. Add spring onions (keep some spring onions aside for garnish), add chopped coriander and chopped green chillies. Stir fry for 2-3 mins on high heat.
7. Add crushed ginger, crushed garlic, chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Stir and cook for 2-3 mins on medium heat.
8. Add the marinated lamb pieces. Stir fry for 5 mins.
9. Add the spinach and salt. Stir fry and cook for further 5 mins.
10. Add the water, cover the lid and cook saag meat for 30 mins. Keep stirring occasionally.
11. Add the garam masala powder, cover the lid and cook for 15-20 mins. Keep stirring occasionally. Then check the meat. If meat is not tender, cook the mutton saag masala until it is cooked covering the lid on again. Once the meat is cooked, turn the heat high and cook uncovered until the water is absorbed. Keep stirring the mutton saag masala.
12. Finally turn off the heat and garnish green mutton masala recipe with chopped spring onion greens.