Kidney Beans Curry with potato is simple rajma masala curry but cooked with potatoes.
Cooking Time: Appr. 30 Minutes
Serves: 3-4 People
1 cup dried red kidney beans or 2 tinned red kidney beans
1 large potato
2 large onions
1 tinned chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon coriander powder
¾ teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
3 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
Water as needed
1. Wash and soak kidney beans overnight. Boil until they and cooked and mushy. If you are using tinned kidney beans avoid this step.
2. Chop the onion finely. Peel the potato and cut in small cubes.
3. Heat the oil in a pan. Add garlic and ginger paste. Sauté garlic-ginger paste for 30 secs to a minute.
4. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 mins.
5. Add the potato cubes and fry until they are about to cook around 7-8 mins. Stir in between.
6. Add the tinned tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well and cook until all spices separated from the oil. Stir in between.
7. Add the kidney beans and garam masala powder. Simmer kidney beans curry for 3-4 mins. Add the water, if you want gravy thinner.
8. Finally turn the heat off and garnish the kidney beans curry with fresh chopped coriander.
If you don’t want potato in kidney beans curry, omit it. It will be simple rajma masala curry.
You can use fresh tomato instead of tinned chopped tomato. In this case take 3 large tomatoes and chop them finely.