Kala Chana Kadhi is one of the tastiest kala chana recipes. This Kala Chana Recipe is black chickpeas cooked in spicy yogurt sauce.
Cooking Time: Appr. 45 Minutes
Serves: 2-3 People
1 cup black or brown chickpeas
2 green chillies
2 garlic cloves
½ inch ginger
2 cups plain yogurt
4 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon asafoetida (hing powder)
2 tablespoons kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) – Optional
2 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
2 tablespoons oil
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander for garnishing
1. Wash and soak the black or brown chickpeas overnight under the water.
2 Pressure cook with enough water until the chickpeas are cooked and bit mushy. You can boil the chick peas in a pan with plenty of water.
3. Crush or grate the garlic and ginger. Chop the green chillies.
4. For the yogurt spicy sauce: Add the gram flour (besan), turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, chopped green chillies, asafoetida, chopped coriander and kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) along with 1 cup water to the yogurt and whisk it well so all ingredients mix together.
5. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the fenugreek seeds. When the fenugreek seeds get lightly brown, add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
6. When the seeds crackle, add the yogurt mixture along with some water.
7. Bring it to boil and cook for 10 mins. If the gravy is too thick, add some water.
8. Add the boiled black chickpeas and salt to taste and let the kala chana kadhi simmer for about 15 mins. Stir in between.
9. Garnish kala chana kadhi with chopped fresh coriander.
Serve kala chana kadhi (kala chana recipe) with chapatti or rice.