Dal Pakora (Dal Pakoda) is crispy and crunchy starter. Dal Pakora is made from mix dals (lentils).
Cooking time: Appr. 20-25 Minutes
Serves: 4-5 people
½ cup Chana Dal (also known as channa dal, chick pea lentils)
¼ cup mung dal (moong dal)
¼ cup masoor dal (red lentils)
4 Green Chilies
2 inch Ginger
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoon chopped methi leaves (fenugreek leaves)
2 tablespoon chopped Coriander Leaves
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon Asofoetida (Hing)
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1. Wash and soak the chana dal, moong dal and masoor dal in 2½ cups water for at least 2-3 hours.
2. Peel the ginger and chop it. Chop the green chilies and garlic.
3. For the dal pakora recipe batter, grind the soaked dal into the processor with chopped ginger, chopped green chilli and chopped garlic, salt, lemon juice, asafoetida and turmeric powder until thick paste is formed.
4. Mix the chopped methi leaves and chopped coriander leaves in the batter and leave aside for 10 mins. Heat the oil in a bottomed pan. Once the oil heated, add a tiny bit from the mix. If it comes up straight away and floats on oil means oil is heated properly.
5. Now you can place the small bit of mix gently using the spoon into heated oil, place one by one small balls gently depends of the size the pan.
6. Flip and fry from both sides until dal pakoda is lightly golden brown and crispy. Finish frying all Dal Pakora from the rest of batter. Place the fried dal pakoras on the kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
Serve the Dal Pakoras hot with green chutney.
For moong dal pakora or moong dal wada (moong pakoda recipe) take 1½ cup moong dal (mung dal) and don’t use any other dal.
For chana dal pakora take 1½ cup Chana Dal (also known as channa dal, chick pea lentils) and don’t use any other dal.