Chick Pea Curry is one of the most popular recipes from north India. Chhole or Chana is a Hindi word meaning ‘chick pea’. Please find our Chhole recipe (Chick Pea Curry) below. You can find our Bhatura recipe in the Indian Breads Section.
Cooking Time: App. 35-40 Minutes
Serves: 3 People
250 grams boiled Chhole (Chick Peas) or tinned chick peas
4 medium onions
1 ½ tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon garlic paste
1 teaspoon ginger paste
2 tablespoon tomato puree
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 ½ teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoon chopped coriander for garnish
Salt to taste
Water as needed
1. Boil the onions and grind it to make it into a paste for the gravy.
2. Heat the oil in the pan and add garlic and ginger paste.
3. Stir it for 2 mins and then add onion paste. Cook for 2-3 mins covering with a lid.
4. Now add tomato puree, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Stir and cook it for another 4-5 mins.
5. Add boiled Chick peas, stir it for 1 min and add cup of water. Cook it for 5 min covering with a lid, it will still need stirring every minute.
6. Finally garnish with chopped coriander.
Serve hot with Bhatura or with naan bread or paratha.
If you are using dried chick peas, here are the instructions for how to boil chick peas.
Wash and soak chick peas for at least 8 hours (or overnight) in the water. You will need triple size of water than the quantity of beans.
Now add double size of water with peas and boiled chick peas until it get cooked.