Butternut Squash Curry Recipe is butternut squash cubes cooked with onion and tomato gravy in spices.
Cooking Time: Appr. 40 Minutes
Serves: 3-4 People
1 butternut squash
1 large onion
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 green chilli
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon asafoetida (hing powder)
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
1 tablespoon oil
Salt to taste
Water as needed
1. Peel the butternut squash, deseed it and cut in small cubes.
2. Chop the onion and green chilli.
3. Heat the oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When the seeds crackle, add asafoetida (hing powder).
4. Add the chopped onions and chopped green chilli. Stir and cook until onions transparent.
5. Add the butternut squash cubes. Mix well and cook for 3-4 mins.
6. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and tomato paste. Mix well and cook until all spices cooked and oil separated on sides.
7. Add the garam masala powder and cumin powder. Cook for 2-3 mins.
8. Add a little water (or as much you want in gravy) and let the butternut squash curry recipe simmer for 20 mins or until the butternut squash cooked.
9. Finally turn the heat off.
Serve butternut squash curry recipe hot with chapatti, paratha, naan bread or rice.
You can add plain yogurt or coconut milk after simmering and let it cook for further 5 mins. Yogurt will give nice tangy taste and coconut milk will give creamy taste to this butternut squash curry recipe.