Basundi Recipe is sweet recipe from west India (Gujarat and Maharastra). Basundi is similar to rabdi (the north Indian sweet recipe).
Cooking Time: Appr. an hour and half
Serves: 4 People
2 litre whole milk
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
¼ cup chopped almond and pistachios
¼ teaspoon saffron strands
Almond flakes and chopped pistachios for garnishing
A few saffron strands for garnishing
1. Bring the milk to a boil in a heavy bottomed non-stick pan.
2. Reduce the heat and cook on a low heat till the milk is reduced to half, about an hour. Keep stirring occasionally.
3. Add the sugar and saffron strands. Cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes or till the milk thickens, stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
4. Add the cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and chopped almond and pistachios. Cook on a low heat for further 15 minutes.
5. Finally turn off the heat.
6. Garnish basundi recipe with almond flakes and saffron. Keep the basundi in refrigerator to serve it chilled or just leave you like warm.
Serve basundi recipe warm or chilled.
You can add 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream to make basundi thicker quicky and reduce the cooking timing. You need to cook for 30-35 mins. Add the whipping cream after adding and cooking cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and chopped almond and pistachios.